When you get blank pages printed, not only it wastes your time, but also it decreases your productivity.
Seeing blank pages being printed by your printer is frustrating but not something that requires a new printer. You can read our guide for using easy methods that will fix your printer, and it will print normally. We’ve seen many printers printing blank pages and sometimes black lines.
The problem can be solved without a tech-savvy person; anyone who knows printer parts should be able to fix the issue. Not many people know why this problem occurs, so we’ve given reasons why your printer prints blank pages.
If you want to get straight to fixing, jump straight to the “fix the blank print issue” portion. This troubleshooting guide is simple and easy to follow. So, let’s get to it!
The Reason Why Your Printer Prints Blank Pages
Usually, the reason why your printer prints blank pages may be simply because the cartridge is empty. However, that may not be the case for some printers.
● The cartridge might need to be installed correctly.
● Empty ink cartridge.
● Clogging of the nozzle is a common reason as well.
● Spooling of the printer.
● Incorrect printer settings.
● Errors in a word document or excel document.
● The software or driver may not be up to date.
● Make sure the paper you are using is compatible with your printer.
What to do if your printer is printing blank pages?
Here are some easy-to-do methods anyone can do at home to fix the printer printing blank pages issue.
1. Run a “print test”:
To narrow down the chief cause of the issue, run a print test by following these steps:
- Place a piece of paper under the printer’s head.
- Start the control panel and go to devices and printers.
- Click on the printer’s properties and browse the “general tab”.
- You will see the “Print test page” option; choose it.
- Go to “Apple menu” and choose “System preferences”.
- Select the “Printer and scanner” icon.
- In the printer section, click “options”.
- Under the “Utility tab”, select “Print test page”.
If the test is successful, there’s no problem with the printer. In case you see any issues, try the next methods.
2. Restarting the printer:
Restarting your printer works for most people; if you haven’t tried turning off your printer, then do it. Here’s how you can reset the printer:
- Click the power “off” button on your printer and disconnect all the cords.
- After 2 to 3 minutes, connect the wires and turn the printer on.
- Get a paper to do a “print test” and check if the printer is printing ink or not.
If this method doesn’t work, try the next one.
3. Incorrect or damaged cartridge:
Checking the cartridge’s condition is the next step. In laser printers like Brother MFC-L2740dw or drum printers, the drum needs to be replaced. Follow these steps to check the toner or cartridge:
- Take out the ink cartridges and see the ink levels.
- Fill out all the ink cartridges if the ink levels are less, and install them correctly.
- In case of any damages to cartridges, change them immediately, or else the issue will not be resolved.
- Make sure that new cartridges get installed correctly without the tape, and firmly lock them in place.
- Run a print test, and the ink will get printed.
4. Automatic nozzle cleaning:
This method and the next method are similar and should be used if the above method doesn’t work. Use this on inkjet printers that print blank pages:
- Place a printing paper on the paper tray and open the control panel on the desktop.
- Go to the printer and click on “properties”.
- Browse the maintenance tab and select maintenance and preferences.
- Click on deep cleaning and wait.
- After that, run a print test, and your issue will be solved.
- Select “System and preference” and choose printers and scanners.
- Tap the “Open Printer Utility” option in the Utility tab within printer options.
- Go to Maintenance from the Control menu.
- Select Print Head Cleaning and then follow the instructions.
- Run a print test, and your printer is set to go.
The reason why this method works only in inkjet printers is that ink is sprayed onto paper by the printer’s head. These small openings get jammed, which is why ink can not get through. Running this test often will help in maintaining the printer head.
5. Manual Nozzle Cleaning:
Sometimes stubborn clogging needs manual thorough cleaning. Remember that there are two different types of print heads. Both an integrated print head from the cartridge and a detached type are available.
There are two types of printer heads; one is integrated from the cartridge, and the other is detachable. Wear protective gloves and follow this:
- Detach all the ink cartridges and put them aside.
- Take out the print head and clean it with a microfibre cloth. Keep cleaning by using slightly warm water.
- Fill a bowl with warm water and once you see zero ink on the cloth, put the print head in the clean water.
- After 10 minutes, take the print head out and dry it with a microfibre cloth, and let it dry.
- Make sure that it’s fully dry before reinstalling it to the printer.
- Attach cartridges and the print head and perform a nozzle check.
- Your printer will start printing normally after this.
6. Putting print cartridges in order:
Sometimes, printers print distorted black lines only on the blank page. That might be due to misaligned cartridges:
- Place the paper in the printer input tray.
- Open the “control panel” and select “Devices and printers”.
- Click printer and printing preferences.
- Select maintenance and preferences by going to the maintenance bar.
- Find the “Align the print head” button and click it.
- Follow the on-screen instructions and try printing again.
Try the good old trick of troubleshooting if you have windows.
- Open the “start menu” and select “Setting”.
- Go to “Update and security” and click the “ Printer” icon.
- Select “Run the troubleshooter” and try printing afterwards.
8. Driver and software updates:
Make sure that your printer drivers are all up-to-date. Manufacturers update the printing drivers frequently, so visit their page. Find the model of your printer and download the latest drivers. Run a printing test on printing paper to see if the printing is back to normal.
9. Disable printer spooling:
This happens rarely, but sometimes, printer spooling can jam the functions of the printer. You can start the “Run” command, and type stop the print spooler. Or you can just print directly to the printer. Follow these steps:
- Open the control panel.
- Select devices and printers and click on “Printer properties”.
- Select the “Advanced tab”.
- Click “Print Directly to printer”.
- The document will get printed without any blank pages or spaces.
10. Print in backup mode:
Try this if you need the document printed in a hurry. But you would have to compromise the quality of the print. Remove all cartridges and just use one cartridge to print the document. It works most of the time and is a good immediate solution.
11. Hard disk space:
The hard disc may not have sufficient storage, which would explain why the pages are printing blank. Keep in mind that for printing to work properly, you must have at least 2 Gb available. Go to “My computer” to see how much space you have. You would need to make space to print normally.
Change the following settings:
● Go to Control Panel>Printers and scanners>Manage>Printing preference. Click on the “Skip the blank page” option.
● If you have a Mac, go to options and supplies after selecting “printer and scanners”. Click on “options” and turn “on” “Skip the blank page”.
● Go to Microsoft Word and unselect “Print just Data” from the advanced options.
● Make sure that the font you want your document printed in is available and installed properly on your computer.
Due in part to the complexity of printers, printing errors can be very irritating. Even if your printer is printing blank pages, you can follow our guide for accurate and clean printing. If the above methods don’t work, call the Printer’s manufacturer services.
Frequently Asked Question and Answers
What’s the first thing to do if the printer prints blank pages?
Checking the ink in the cartridges and restarting the printer is the first thing you should do.
What to do if my printer is printing blank pages in Excel?
Go to Page Layout > Margins > Narrow. Then, click on “File” and select “print”. After that, go to “Settings” and drop down to “Print selection”. Your excel sheet will be printed.
Is it possible to fix “printer printing blank pages” at home?
Yes, you can try troubleshooting methods, or you can try updating printing drivers. Many people have fixed the problem by manually cleaning the print head as well.