When your printer is low on ink, but you need to print documents, then there’s a way if you use an Epson printer. Just remove the ink cartridge from the printer, shake it gently and reinstall it. This method is known as bypassing the ink cartridge on an Epson printer.
How to Bypass ink cartridge on Epson Printer (Step-by-Step)
There are other ways as well that will allow you to bypass the ink cartridges on an Epson printer. In this guide, let us show you three methods on how to bypass the ink cartridge on an Epson printer. Furthermore, we have given you a way to disable the ink alert system on Epson printers.
Method: 1 (Opening the lid)
In Epson printers, the ink cartridges stop working when the ink is low, however, the cartridge isn’t fully empty. If you already have a new cartridge, then you can install that one. But if you don’t and need to print, then it’s time to trick the printer. Follow these steps:
- Unlock the lid and press the ink button on the Epson printer.
- When the ink holder is in the correct position, open the empty ink cartridge’s lid. Only open the lid of the cartridge that’s empty.
- Close the lid, and don’t remove the ink cartridge.
- Try printing and see if it prints now. This works if there is no meter system. In the case of the meter system, follow the second method.
Method: 2 (Shaking cartridges)
The metering system alerts you that you need to replace the cartridge in Epson printers. Follow this method to bypass the ink cartridge on the Epson printer:
- Turn the printer on and open the printer’s lid.
- Hold the cartridges down and remove them one by one.
- Shut the printer off and remove all sources of power. Wait patiently for the printer’s memory to reset after shutting off.
- Shake the cartridges gently to distribute the ink in each cartridge evenly,
- Re-install the cartridges and turn the printer on.
- Finally, normally print as the bypassing of the ink cartridge is done!
Method: 3(Resetting cartridges)
Turn off the printer, remove the ink cartridges and then follow these steps:
- Inspect the bottom of the cartridge and find the copper contacts.
- You will see a reset button at the center of the said contact.
- Use a paper clip to press that button carefully. Gently re-install all the ink cartridges.
- Turn the printer on, and your printer will start printing ink again!
Method: 4(Disable Epson Ink status)
Once the metering system of the Epson printer alerts you that you are running low on ink, here’s how you can turn it off.
- Go to the ‘Control panel’ and go to ‘Printers’.
- Select the ‘Epson printer’ icon and click on ‘Preferences’
- Tap on ‘Maintenance’ and click on ‘Speed and Progress’
- You will find ‘Disable Epson Ink Status Monitor’; turn that off.
- Now you have disabled the alert showing that you are running low on ink.
- Select the file you want to print and click on the Epson printer option.
- Go to ‘Copies And Pages’ and select ‘Disable Epson Ink Status Monitor’.
- Save it, and the alert will stop showing.
Knowing how to bypass the ink cartridge on an Epson printer is crucial if you need to print in an emergency. Not everyone can buy Epson ink cartridges as soon as possible.
We hope this guide helped you to print effectively and solved your issue. Do not use this every time, and once you bypass the ink cartridge, make sure you refill the cartridge for a smooth printing experience without damaging the print head.
Frequently Asked Questions and Answers
Is it safe to bypass ink cartridges on Epson printers?
Yes, but don’t do it too often because it might disturb the performance of the print head. It’s not a permanent solution, so get a new ink cartridge if it’s fully empty.
What should I do if my Epson ink cartridge is not recognized?
Ensure that the ink cartridge is clean and the tape is taken off. Reinstall the cartridge in the correct way, and you should hear a clicking sound after installing it. Restart the printer, and the cartridge will be recognized.
How to print only black and white documents in an Epson printer?
Go to the printer’s settings and click on ‘Envelope and plain type’ in the quality tab. Now the printer will print on grayscale, and you will get black and white documents.