Documents are important, and you may need to use them, whether for personal or professional work. We tend to print out more than a single copy of documents in case we lose it.
But what if all the copies get misplaced, or you forget where you have kept them? You might rush to your computer in search of the document you want to print out, but you have no idea how to do it.
And you might think, how to reprint something from printer history? You can reprint anything from printer history by simply enabling the printed document history feature that you can find in your computer’s settings.
In this article, we will discuss two methods to reprint documents from printer history. So you don’t have to worry about losing your documents anymore, give this article a read to get all the answers.
How to enable printed document history on your computer? (Windows 10)
To enable the printed document history feature on your computer, you need to follow the steps below:
- Click on the windows icon on the bottom left side of your computer screen. You will see a search box there. Type ‘event viewer’ in it and enter.
- Simultaneously, press Windows and ‘R’ for the Run app to open. You need to type ‘eventvwr.msc’ and enter.
- Click Open on the event viewer page, and you will see the Application and Services logo option there.
- Double-click on it, and you will see more folders will appear. From there, choose ‘Microsoft,’ and another folder of ‘Windows’ will display. Click on it, and a list of more folders will appear; scroll down until you see the ‘PrintService’ folder.
- Once you click on the PrintService, you will find two more folders: Admin and Operational. Click on the ‘Operational.’
- Select ‘Properties’ from the drop-down menu.
- In the properties, you will find the ‘Enable Logging’ bar unticked. Enable it.
- Lastly, right-click on ‘Apply’ for the changes to appear, then ‘OK.’
This is the event viewer method. Event viewer is an app that can be easily found on computers with Windows 10.
- Click on the Windows icon on your computer and go to the settings option available on the sidebar of the menu.
- From settings, select ‘Devices’, and from devices, select the ‘Printer and Scanners’ option.
- Look for the printer you are using for printing in the list and click on it.
- Now, click on the ‘Manage’ option. A window will appear, and on top, you will find ‘Printer’ on the tab row.
- Click on it, and a drop-down menu will open; from there, select ‘Properties.’
- A new window will appear, and from that window, you have to choose the ‘Advanced’ option from the top. Click on it, and down below, you will see the ‘Keep printed document’ option. Enable it and click OK.
This is the windows settings method to enable the printed document history feature.
Now that you know how to enable the printed documented history feature on your computer, we shall now discuss how you can reprint those documents from printer history.
A Step-by-Step-Guide to Reprinting something from a printer history
When you are done with the above-mentioned steps, the next thing you want to do is to find where your printed documents are saved and how to reprint them.
- Again, open the Event Viewer and select. Applications and Services logs folder. From the folder list, select Microsoft.
- From the Microsoft folder, select Windows and scroll down until you find the PrintService folder. Click on it.
- You will see two options, Admin and Operational. From there, you have to go with Operational. On the right side, you will see the ‘Open Saved Log’ option. Open it.
- Here all of your previously printed document histories will be available. Choose the desired document or image you want to print. Click on ‘Print the Job’ and right-click on ‘GO.’
Check Our Review: Best printer under $100
How to reprint something from printer history? (Mac)
- First of all, you need to open your Macbook and go to the Apple menu.
- Select System Preferences and find Scanners and Printers. Click on it.
- Now, select the printer you are using, and from the right window, click on the Open Print Queue option.
- Select Windows and then click on Show Completed Jobs.
From this method, you can reprint printed jobs on Mac.
These are all the steps that can help you in reprinting the printed documents. Following carefully, these are quite simple steps, and instead of hiring a tech to come and fix it, you can just do it yourself.
In this article, we have tried to simplify everything for you, and hopefully, now you have the answer to how to reprint something from printer history. You just need to activate the feature from the event viewer from the settings to keep the printed history saved in Saved Logs.
Also, learning this technique can help you speed up your work, reduce your time wastage and increase your productivity.
Is it possible to keep the previously printed records saved on your computer?
Yes, it is indeed possible to keep the records saved. All you are required to do is to follow the steps we have mentioned above and activate the feature from settings.
Where are the printer documents stored?
Printer documents are stored in the printer’s hard disk. Every single print job record is stored there.
Can you recover the printer history?
Yes, you can recover the print history from your printer’s settings menu.
Do printers have a memory of what was printed?
A printer has two memories; one is volatile, like the RAM of a printer, and the other is non-volatile, like a hard drive. The volatile memory is temporary and vanishes as soon as you switch off the printer. But to remove the printer’s history permanently, you need to remove its volatile memory.